On January 21, 1948 our first ambulance was placed in service. It was a 1948 Cadillac Meteor ambulance. The $6,155 ambulance was purchased by the Kiwanis Club of Reisterstown and donated to the Reisterstown Volunteer Fire Company.
The process of purchasing the ambulance began on December 31, 1945 when a $100 deposit was placed on the ambulance. There was a high demand for post war era ambulances because they had not been manufactured since 1942. The delivery was also complicated by post war strikes at GM.
The ambulance was kept at J. Edwin Eline’s garage until construction on our current building was completed later in the year. The ambulance handled 189 calls in 1948.
At around 0800hours station 41 was alerted for an MVC with reported entrapment on Route 140 at the carroll county line. Units arrived to find a multiple car Mvc with one occupant confirmed trapped. Crews worked to quickly extricate the patient who was then flown to the hospital by the Maryland State Police Aviation, Trooper 3. Crews operated for approximately an hour before returning to service.
At around 1300 hours E412 was alerted for an apartment fire in the Brookebury community of Reisterstown. Smoke was found coming from a second floor apartment door, E412 stretched a line from E56 and forced entry to find a fire in the living room of one of the apartments. The fire was quickly knocked and all searches were negative. Crews operated for approximately an hour and a half before returning to service.
This morning Station 41 was alerted for an MVC on Westminster Pike. S414 arrived to find a single vehicle off the road on its side. Passers-by had helped the driver out of the vehicle. Squad crew did patient assessment and checked the vehicle. Crew was on scene for about 30 minutes.
In the early morning of September 13th E413 and S414 responded with surrounding stations for a reported building fire. Units arrived to find fire to the rear as well as the roof. Crews worked for approximately an hour and a half before returning to service.